The following requirements must be met in order for zztat to install and run successfully:
- Oracle version 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124 or higher
- For the repository database, use 12.1 or higher
- zztat currently does not support Oracle Database Vault.
- Access to basic SYS packages for the zztat users (normally these are executable by PUBLIC but if you have locked those down you may need to grant access to the zztat users):
- dbms_network_acl_admin (when configuring emails)
- utl_call_stack (Oracle 12.1+)
- utl_mail (see details below)
- job_queue_processes must be set to a value greater than 0. 10 is a good starting point if you don't run many jobs apart from zztat.
- Your environment and policies should allow granting the following system privileges to the zztat users:
- CREATE ANY CONTEXT
- CREATE CLUSTER
- CREATE JOB
- CREATE PROCEDURE
- CREATE SEQUENCE
- CREATE SESSION
- CREATE SYNONYM
- CREATE TABLE
- CREATE TRIGGER
- CREATE TYPE
- CREATE VIEW
- DROP ANY CONTEXT
- MANAGE SCHEDULER
- Note that these privileges are mandatory for zztat to function. Granting them to zztat via roles is currently not supported - they must be direct grants.
Also note that while MANAGE SCHEDULER is a powerful privilege, zztat will not in any way alter or modify any job that's not part of the zztat framework.
Requirements for optional features
The following components can be configured at your discretion, based on how you set up the setup.sql configuration file (see below for details). Additional requirements are applicable if you intend to enable the following features.
- zztat can send emails as part of its reaction framework to alert you
- Emails can be sent to pager email aliases to trigger immediate alerts
- Alternate emails can be configured for warning and critical type alerts.
In order for zztat to be able to send emails when an alert occurs, the following requirements must be met:
- The XML Database component must be installed in your database. Starting with Oracle 12.1 this has become a mandatory component. If you are still running Oracle 11.2, you need to have XDB installed to be able to get emails from zztat.
- smtp_out_server must be configured
- ACLs must be configured for the servers specified in smtp_out_server. The installer does this automatically for you. Please note that it uses dbms_network_acl_admin to do so.
- The utl_mail package must be installed. See the Oracle documentation here for details.
Tracing and Dumps
To be able to use traces and allow zztat to collect diagnostics on itself, the zztat users will require the ALTER SESSION system privilege. The installer will grant this automatically if you enable this option.
zztat supplies a package that can be installed under the SYS-account to provide additional functionality:
- High-speed sampling of mutexes and latches.
- Terminating blockers and idle sessions.
- Writing to the alert log.
- The Auditing Add-on can only be installed when the SYS-helper package is installed in the target database.
- Terminating sessions
- Triggering dumps